Artist against Artist
The job of a Permanent Makeup Technician/Artist is becoming a highly popular and valued profession. Permanent makeup salons are appearing all over the UK, from small towns to major cities, and their popularity is rising dramatically. This express development of the profession is clearly evident on numerous forums and Facebook groups. Unfortunately, as well as many positive comments and advice, there are also malicious and rude message, from those who criticise the work and makeup methods of their colleagues. These defamatory comments serve to create a negative atmosphere, leading to unfair competition in the industry. This state of affairs has made us consider more widely the ethics of the job of a PMU Artist.
What are professional ethics?
Professional ethics are essentially the established norms of a given professional group. Their aim is to determine who is a member of the group, what the objectives of the group are, standard working practices and conduct as well as dealing with typical conflicts that arise within the group. Professional ethics firmly rest on human rights. Representatives of a given group should observe the rules that are laid down by the profession’s ethics and work in accordance with them. These are clearly apparent in other professions, for example medical ethics or teachers’ ethics, but are distinctly lacking in the Permanent Makeup industry.
Professional ethics of a PMU Artist
What are the ethics required of a PMU Artist? Each professional permanent make-up artist with a respect for their own trade should think about it. We believe these ethics should certainly include:
- Attitude towards the client
- Code of conduct in the permanent make-up business
- Attitude towards colleagues and competitors
Attitude towards the client.
- The job of a PMU Artist is to perform the professional application of permanent makeup, according to client’s request and with observance of face biology and aesthetics.
- A PMU Artist’s duty is to educate the client on contraindications and possible side effects of permanent makeup. During conversation around these issues, he or she should display patience, attentiveness and, above all, concern for the client’s wellbeing.
- The client should see a PMU Artist as a trusted expert.
- A PMU Artist should go about his profession with respect for others, regardless of sex, race, nationality, social group, material status, or other such diversity.
- A PMU Artist has the right to deny treatment if, in his judgement, the client’s expectations are irrational and may negatively affect their health and / or wellbeing.
Code of conduct in the permanent make-up business
- A PMU Artist should take time to contribute to the development of the industry by creating new methods, products, techniques and results in respect of the law, safety, and other factors.
- A PMU Artist has the right to use chosen methods and permanent make-up products commonly available on the market.
- A PMU Artist should protect the reputation of the trade, and should respect their own and other professional’s work. They should strive for perfection themselves, but at the same time support novices in the industry.
- A PMU Artist should respect the work of other representatives in the profession. He should not claim other people’s work as his own. A PMU Artist’s professional image should be managed with awareness and responsibility. A PMU Artist respects and honours the work and achievements of others in the business.
Attitude towards other PMU Artists
- PMU Artists should display mutual respect.
- PMU Artists should respect individual preferences for methods of work, products, time, and procedures of any other representatives of the trade.
- Healthy competition should be maintained between PMU Artists. Healthy and fair competition is a positive stimulus encouraging self-development, but unfair competition is unacceptable, e.g. disseminating negative and falsified opinions.
- PMU Artists should not be critical of other professionals work in an offensive manner.
- PMU Artists should not be driven by envy and jealousy. They should aim to become a cohesive group of professionals, who can support each other and work towards a common goal.
- PMU Artist ought to back each other, help each other, and defend other representatives of the trade.
- PMU Artists should not publicly criticise other PMU Artists.
In every profession it is expected that professionals are able to represent their own trade with dignity. In the role of a professional PMU Artist, ethics are especially important owing to the short history of this business. Some see it as a branch of cosmetics, others as part of aesthetic medicine. Wherever we sit on the map of professions, we need ethical conduct on the part of our representatives if we are to become a serious, respected branch of professionals. Keeping in mind basic rules for working with clients, other Permanent Makeup Artists, and professional conduct will help the development of the permanent make-up business, and will enhance respect for this profession, and for awareness of the seriousness, importance, and significance of our trade.
If you are a working PMU Artist, please feel free to copy the above content and paste it onto your website or social media. Many thanks to Aleksandra Gorecka for creating the above code of ethics..